Flatbed scanner transparency adapter?

From: sandall@shaw.ca
Date: 12/18/03-01:34:14 PM Z

Hi all,
I hope this hasn't been beaten up on the forum so far, but my archives of the list didn't bear any fruit, so here it is..
I'm considering picking up a new HP flatbed scanner that comes with a transparency adapter. Although I don't shoot a heck of a lot of slides these days, I do have quite a few from days gone by that I would like to get into the digital realm to make some inkjet negs for gum printing.

The scanner I am looking at (HP scanjet 5530) has an optical resolution of 2400x4800.. which by my calculations can make a pretty reasonable size scan of a 35 mm slide, about 8 megapixel which should be more than enough for a good neg. So my real question is more about thequality of the transparency adapter on a flatbed vs. a true slide scanner or a drum scan. Am I going to be losing anything here?

Thanks,
Dwayne