Kallitypes

From: Scott Wainer (smwbmp@starpower.net)
Date: 02/04/03-10:22:54 PM Z

Hi all,

I just finished a session printing kallitypes and had some
observation/questions.

My first question is has anyone encountered a black granular residue left in
the bottom of the tray after development of a print? I was using sodium
acetate for the developer and do not remember seeing such a residue
previously. I also noticed what looked like "fluffy carbon balls" (the kind
that buildup on glass when put into a flame) floating in the sink after
dumping leftover sensitizer at the end of the session. All of the chemistry
was mixed fresh from a new chem order I received about a week or two ago.
The ferric oxalate was partially frozen, along with some gum arabic
The prints look fine though they took about 20 minutes to expose with a
negative range of 1.8 and double coat of sensitizer on Stonehenge; all
printings previous took between 6 and 10 minutes with the same negative.

My next question is has anyone bleached and redeveloped a kallitype in sepia
(specifically a thiourea formula)? I generally tone with gold/citric acid
before fixing and I am planning on trying the sepia after the fix. I would
also like to try gold toning after the sepia; any thoughts?

Scott Wainer
smwbmp@starpower.net