Re: Kallitypes - Photo-Minature 47

From: Sandy King (sanking@CLEMSON.EDU)
Date: 02/24/03-11:00:04 AM Z

Scott,

I saw this message earlier and thought that I had responded, but
apparently not.

Regarding the formula from Photo-Minature, I have not experimented
with the formula in the article but I doubt very much that you will
get any better results with it than with the formula given by James,
which is similar to one recommended by Dick Stevens, Russ Young,
Richard Farber, et al. There was a huge about of experimentation with
kallitype in the early part of the century but to my way of thinking
most of the formulas are simply variations that with proper working
conditions all lead to the same result.

Stevens did a lot of experimentation with additives such as gum
arabic in an attempt to keep more of the sensitizer at or near the
surface of the paper to improve apparent sharpness, but in practice
getting a smooth coating with any amount of colloid added to the
sensitizer is extremely difficult.

Experiment if you must but I seriously doubt that any of the old
formulas will give you better results than the now classic kallitype
formula based on 1 part 20% ferric oxalate and 1 part 10% silver
nitrate.

As for toning, prints toned before fixing will be richer and take on
more of the color of the toning agent than if toned after fixing. At
least that has been my experience with gold and platinum toning.
Also, toning before fixing with these agents cuts down dramatically
on bleaching of the image in the fixing bath(s).

Sandy King