Kallitypes - Photo-Minature 47

From: Scott Wainer (smwbmp@starpower.net)
Date: 02/23/03-12:39:49 PM Z

Re: fresson printingHi all,

Just read a copy of "The Kallitype Process" from the Photo-Minature No. 47 and had a few questions for those of you who are kallitypists.

The first question is has anyone tried the formula (listed below) in the article? Up to this point I have been using the simple formula given in Christopher James' book with decent results; 1 part 20% Ferric Oxalate to 1 part 10% silver Nitrate. Since the article was written, in 1903, I would assume the quality of chemistry and paper has steadly increased to the point of not needing some of the chemicals required to obtain decent or exhibition quality prints.

Part A which calls for 48 grains gum arabic, how do you convert grains when using liquid gum arabic?

Part B calls for 1/2oz Ferric Oxalate and Potassium [K3Fe2(C204)3] which I assume would be Potassium Ferric Oxalate. Is that liquid or dry measurement? Where could I obtain it or can it be readily made onsite?

In Part D, the article calls for the use of a 6% Potassium (Bi)Dichromate solution. It has always been my understanding that the addition of dichromate causes an increase in contrast and a reduction in printing speed. Most of my negatives give a slightly contrasty print, using the James formula, that caused the shadows to go slightly dark and are brought out in a pre-fix toning bath. Would the inclusion of the dichromate solution in sensitizer cause even greater contrast?

I also read that for the most part, when the article was written, toning was done after the print had been fixed. I have always toned before fixing; is there any difference other than color in toning before the fix versus afterwards?

Thanks for the help,

Scott Wainer
smwbmp@starpower.net

Photo-Minature No. 47 Kallitype Formula

Part A
Ferric Oxalate 1 oz
Distilled Water 5 oz
Gum Arabic (picked) 48 grains

Part B
Ferric Oxalate and Potassium [K3Fe2(C204)3] 1/2 oz
Distilled Water 8
oz

Part C
Oxalic Acid 1/2 oz
Distilled Water 4 oz
stronger ammonia (Ammonia Liq. 880) 100 minims

Part D
Bichromate of Potassium 120 grains
Distilled Water 4 oz

Sensitizer for average negatives