Re: Cyan and Digital Negs

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/03/03-05:34:00 PM Z

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Don Bryant wrote:

> Inkjet prints are an easy way to proof negatives. A CIS system will provide
> the cheapest and easiest way to use inks, black or color. As Dan Burholder
> points out in his book, physical density negatives may not provide the most
> desirable negative.

But then again it may. Dan invented the orange density neg when inkjet
films wouldn't take enough ink for a decent negative. Later films did.
When the 1270 & 1280 came out with twice the ink flow of earlier Epsons,
so that they flooded, Dan went back to the orange... but it has its
limitations, including that you can't take a simple reading, but have to
make a test print.

Also, that orange apparently doesn't work with gum (if it did we couldn't
print orange !), and I gather may not work well with cyanotype either. I
don't know about the silver processes.

Simple black in the standard Epson dye inks reads very well by
densitometer and can be curved... so it's easier across the board, or
seems so to me.

> > PS. I have a friend swears by a wide carriage HP printer at her school,
> > for making prints AND negatives. I'll ask the name.
>
> I have no doubt that HP makes some excellent printers, but Epson seems to
> have the synergy with hardware and software vendors.

AFAIK, only one "software" program required -- Photoshop. I printed from
Photoshop onto my ancient old laser. By hardware you mean CIS and similar?
If we could get ink at a reasonable price we wouldn't need that expense,
fuss, and mess... So let us fight the corporate monopolistic behemoth...
And now that Epson is chipping everything -- according to the capitalist
system, some other entrepreneur should arrive to fill the void.

Judy