Re: Dektol developer for modern tintype?

From: Ken Watson (watsok@frii.com)
Date: 01/06/03-08:57:34 AM Z

My experience with using modern materials to make tintypes is that they are
only about 1/2 or less the brilliance of what is possible with the real
chemistry.

So do not believe the quality of image you get is representative of the real
thing. It is just an easy way to make a pseudo tintype today

One of the issues is that you actually have grain's with modern chemistry,
none with the original. So discussions of color changes with different
grain sizes applies most to modern chemistry and maybe to the tintypes you
are trying to make. If you could process the modern equivalent to a mirror
finish ( can not remember what this process is ) or to be highly reflective
you will get close to wet plate imagery. I am sure this is not the Dektol
developer.