Felt vs Wire (was: Re: Stonehenge Paper)

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 01/10/03-02:22:08 AM Z

This brings to mind something I've puzzled about a long time and maybe
someone can shed some light on it for me. It's always been my
understanding that the "front" side of the paper is supposed to be the
side from which the watermark reads the right way. But it also seems to
me that the "wire" side should be the back side of the paper. I mean,
who wants a wire pattern in their print? I sure don't. So why is it that
for a lot of papers, the front side is the wire side? When I was using
Arches aquarelle, I always printed on the back side of the paper for
that reason. I had to give up Arches for other reasons that aren't
important here, though I've never found another paper I like as well.
Now I'm using Fabriano Uno, which is built the same way. The back side
has too much texture for my needs, so I have to use the front side,
which is the wire side. The wire texture is fairly small and unobtrusive
in large prints, but sometimes I make contact prints from 4x5 negatives
and in those, the wire texture becomes distracting. So my question is,
why isn't the felt side always the front side, as (IMHO) it should be?
Katharine Thayer