Re: Felt vs Wire (was: Re: Stonehenge Paper)

From: Keith Schreiber (jkschreiber@earthlink.net)
Date: 01/10/03-10:09:49 PM Z

Jeff, Carl, et al,

Hot- cold press, and machine- mould- hand-made, are really independent
characteristics.

The terms hot-press (HP)and cold-press (CP) are usually used in the context
of watercolor papers. Many watercolor papers are available in HP, CP, and
rough surface finishes. In Europe HP is often refered to as "HOT", while CP
is known as "NOT".

Printmaking papers less often described as HP or CP simply because very few
are available in more than one surface. One exception is Rising drawing
bristol available in plate (HP-like) and vellum (CP-like) finishes. Other
terms commonly used to describe the surface characteristics of printmaking
papers include wove, laid, smooth, rough, hard, soft .... All of these terms
tend to be somewhat loosely defined and are used differently by different
manufacturers.

To further confuse things, hand-made papers are made in a mould, mould-made
papers are made on a cylinder-mould machine, and machine-made papers are
made on a Fourdrinier machine. Hand-made papers have no grain direction
since the mould is shaken in 4 directions. Mould-made and machine-made
papers have grain direction due to the unidirectional movement of the paper
fibers as they travel along the web. The slower speed of the cylinder-mould
creates a sheet with less grain direction than that of the Fourdinier
machine.

Another important difference between printmaking papers and watercolor
papers is sizing. Printmaking papers are in general sized internally, i.e.
the sizing is added to the wet fibers in the beater before the sheet is
formed. Watercolor papers are usually tub sized (also known as surface
sized) which results in a paper with less absorbency on the surface.

One excellent book about art papers is "Which Paper?" by Silvie Turner.

Regards,
Keith

J Keith Schreiber
www.jkschreiber.com