Re: "magic brush"

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 01/15/03-12:01:18 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 8:59 PM
Subject: Re: "magic brush"

> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Jack Fulton wrote:
>
> > Good old sweet, slightly mad, Carlos Gasparinho used a
nifty brush that is
> > disposable. I forget it's technical name . . something
like a 'barlow'
> > brush.
> > It was a flat, rectangular (about 2" x 8") piece of
glass, sanded on all
> > edges.
> > Go to a good fabric store and purchase synthetic pile.
It is a fabric that
> > has millions of fibrous hairs . . sort of like a
close-up of a lawn. You cut
> > the fabric into strips . . say 2" x 3" and place it at
one end of the glass

> If memory serves that was called a buckle brush, didn't
have to be glass,
> a flat shim of wood would serve, and the ones I made (from
instructions in
> old process books) used strips of flannel from worn out
nightgown... I
> think it was what they used before they had foam. I
ultimately abandoned
> it in favor of the nice soft foam brush (one with the wood
handle) for a
> number of reasons including that if there were the least
irregularity in
> the underlayment, it left a mark when coating with
something rigid.

> The foam takes that in stride.
>
> J.
>

> > wrapping it tightly with good rubber band.
> > The coating with this is superb: smooth and very even
and simple. It seems
> > to better than my push rods.
> > The good thing is that each time you coat, you replace
the cloth, hence
> > each coating can never be contaminated. It is extremely
inexpensive.
> > Jack

  I've also seen these called Blanchard brushes. A similar
sor of disposible brush is made by stuffing some flanel or
cotten in the end of a glass tube.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA