Re: "magic brush"

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/15/03-02:15:06 AM Z

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Richard Knoppow wrote:

> I've also seen these called Blanchard brushes. A similar
> sor of disposible brush is made by stuffing some flanel or
> cotten in the end of a glass tube.
> ---

Richard you are so right -- in fact I just came across the term in Liam's
article... Now I find under "brushes," page 76 in Cassell's, illustration
of them both... The Buckle brush is the one you describe (I got them
mixed) and the Blanchard brush is the one I described, the flat strip of
glass. Text says "the two brushes (always home-made) most widely used in
the dark-room are the Blanchard and the Buckle brushes." etc.

However, while the Blanchard (flat) brush was pretty fair, tho not as
good ultimately as the foam, I found the Buckle brush (cotton in tube)
impossible. Basically a mess.

J.