Re: GUM TESTING

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 07/15/03-05:59:22 AM Z

Kate,
     Hey, don't even blush! We're all in this together!

     OK, let's recap.
     1. The original point of doing the test, for me anyway, was to prove
or disprove the assertion of one author that a justifiable clear (*if*you
*don't* have the chemicals) is the sun. I could not believe this was
true--that sun would do this. It was not to prove its usefulness as a tool
for us today.
     2. My results found that after a couple hours in bright sunlight, the
potassium did completely bleach/clear from the borders, the ammonium not
so--a bit of a dif but still there. I do think, after Katharine's testing
and Kate's addition, below, this is due to the saturation of ammonium
dichromate and ensuant greater exposure, but that as Katharine has proven
both trivalent dichromates bleach equally if exposures relate.
     3. The original author was proven to be correct, but ******very******
impractical :)

     Meanwhile, I am really bummed. I had my digital scale in a padded box,
which dropped from a height of 5 feet. Now when I try to weigh something it
goes immediately to HI so something is jammed. So as far as scientifically
doing this test with equal, let's say, 5%-10% dilutions, it's a no go. I
could do drops of both saturated and then dilute with drops to approximate,
but I guess I am looking at having to buy another scale unless someone on
the list knows what I can do about a jammed scale :(.
Chris