Re: Dust and Static Control

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 07/19/03-05:49:53 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: <curzon@tegenlicht.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2003 11:20 AM
Subject: RE: Dust and Static Control

> Dust and Static ControlI was thinking about the same
problem.
> Maybe not what you meant but this thought crossed my mind.
> My mother is a big smoker, my father isn't. In fact, he
hates it. So he
> bought a machine, that cleans the air from smoke
(particals) and in the
> process eliminates dust as well!! I'l have to check this,
but I think it
> ionises the air in some way so the dust will fall out of
the air (yes I
> know, very scientific explenation...). You can use it to
filter the dust out
> of the air before you start pinting!! This way you don't
have to attach
> anything to your exposing unit.
> I'm going to call him and ask him what type of machine
this is. If you're
> interested, I'll post the info and (if possible) the
website of the factory.
> Bert from Holland.

Be careful of high voltage precipitators or so called air
fresheners which produce Ozone. Ozone is very harmful to
conventional photographic material. I don't know what
effect, if any, it has on alternative processes prints but
it generally acellerates oxidation. It is murder to silver
gelatin prints or films.
  The caution is to make sure that a dust precipitator does
not release a lot of Ozone into the air.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com