Re: Isabel Muñoz giant Platinum prints.

From: Bill Marsh (redcloud54@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/24/03-05:15:26 PM Z

Hi, Manuel,

I've done 20x24s, and I know some of the other folks using
RBCs (Really Big Cameras) have done them, as well. It is a
matter, at least for me, of simply ramping up the size of
everything: trays, exposure unit, vacuum frame, amount of
chemistry, amount of sensitizer, brush size (that's what I
use, anyway) or coating rod size. Then you do really big
test strips! Wet paper handling becomes an art in itself.
Pouring on the developer is a little tricky, as the image
needs to be covered with it as near to all at once as
possible. I've gotten streaks from really hot developer
cooling as it ran across the face of the print. There is
probably another way to immerse the print, but I just do it
the way I do little ones.

It must have been an amazing effort to do prints as big as
those you describe, not to mention the expense in equipment.
  She must have done the negs digitally, I would imagine, as
Kodak is pretty much out of the giant film business anymore,
but who knows?

Hope this helps.

Bill