Re: Gum Pigments & Life Jackets

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 07/26/03-08:05:21 AM Z

Please excuse cut and paste of two posts:

<Mark said>I'll ask a question.... Is anyone having any
luck with multiple layers of gum being laid on ...like say 3-5 coats and
then
developing them all at once to get "quasi one shot" gum prints? Or, does it
all go sliding down the drain if you do this? Would Miracle Muck help?

Just answered Stuart on this before I read your post! I'll be trying
Miracle Muck and let you know.

any of
deceased gummists add gelatin to their mix?

Once or twice in 80 sources I came across this--as well as sugar, honey,
starch, fish glue, and egg whites. It was what was originally experimented
with before gum came on the horizon; once gum was it, it wasn't used in
combo except I think once...mind you, I'd have to read thru now 54pp of 11pt
type to find your answer, so it may take a while, to be absolutely correct
on this, but a brief perusal comes up with that answer.

<Dave Rose asked>: Was Livick using tube pigments?
Yes
<Dave Rose asked A Google search came up with zero hits on "Sucrow
Beauregard". I'm
listening, what can you tell us?
Prof Sucrow and Beauregard are two historical figures experimenting with gum
back then at the beginning who were only mentioned once or twice in the
literature. Which is my point. We always hear about Ponton, Poitevin,
Pouncey, but the myriad others leading up to the process and around the time
of its inception contributed their share of work but don't get much press. I
feel sorry for them, so thought I'd bring up their names :)

A big problem is I don't read German, and lots on gum is in that literature.
How can I give Germany credit where credit is due if I can't access the
info? I think the language barrier is another reason for inaccuracies in
history. I think the first multicolor gum was done by a German. Coburn in
America is sometimes credited with this, too, but according to Nadeau it was
done before 1902 (Coburn) by Watzek in 1890's.

<Dave Rose said> OK, let's talk about staining.
Have to write it all up first (ducks in a row), then I'll post. Glad you
are interested.
Chris