Subbing Glass

From: Kate Mahoney (kateb@paradise.net.nz)
Date: 07/29/03-03:47:47 AM Z

Hi Darryl, I've been working with glass and liquid silver emulsion. I've
found that a weak solution of gelatine, hardened with chrome alum, works
well on glass. I'm sure I sent in my "recipe" in the last week or so, so
have a look back at the archives. I was having trouble with my images
falling off the glass too, but it turned out to be contaminated fixer -
obviously not the problem you're having!

I wash my glass thoroughly with very hot water and a household detergent,
then give it a real going-over with methylated spirits and an lint-free
cotton cloth, followed by a blast of compressed air! I find this gets it
clean enough.

I wear vinyl surgical gloves while cleaning to avoid contaminating the
surface- maybe someday I'll get round to making a frame to hold the glass!

There's been a bit of discussion on this topic on another alt-proc list this
last week - if all else fails, I believe you can get a substance called
silane which is designed to provide a bond between organic material and
glass and ceramics. I'm searching dental suppliers for this at present as
some types of it are used in dental processes.

Cheers
Kate