Re: Bite Your Tounge etc. and straight line learning curve

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 06/27/03-01:35:31 AM Z

Hi Yu -- I respectfully, disrespectfully, rashly and circumspectly
disagree with your comments re "We don't want to lose or alienate
members." And, "Off topic posts weaken the list's position as THE leading
source of ALT Photo information." Etc.

As I see it (after, can it possibly be 8 years on the list ?), the threat
to "leave the list" is childish, like saying I'm going to hold my breath
and then you'll be sorry.

The list was, is, and will be special, with an incredible range of
temperament, knowledge, information and ideas. If someone can't take a
little guff, chatter, kerfluffle, INCLUDING the actually quite rare
offtopic kerfluffle, they are --- well, in my opinion overly controlling
and/or excessively fragile. Equally to the point, it's their loss, not the
list's.

As I've said before, we're not selling advertising. We don't need the
numbers. Certainly folks have gotten in a tangle & left in a snit, but
IME, the *threats* are ....uh, how to say this -- um, how about never yet
has such threat come from a serious contributor ? And almost anything can
alienate somebody... like a simple quote from Thomas Jefferson, of all
things!

So, to prove that I for one refuse to tremble, I admit that, much as I
appreciate it, so far I have hardly understood the VERY savvy sounding
digital camera advice. I've been coping with an 809-tooth, no make that 80
tooth carbide tipped blade, among other disasters today, including 95
degrees F on the streets of NY, and it's already 3:20 AM -- but I will try
(tomorrow, or the day after) to submit a few of the intriguing and/or
provocative sentences for clarification.

Meanwhile, here's one to start-- I've heard everything from $800 to $8000
dollars from folks willing to talk price... Is it possible to mention a
price range here -- or is that just too crass?

OK -- here's another. Upsampling? Downsampling? OK, they're in the
Realworld Photoshop 7 book.... but I haven't spent my $8000 or $800 yet. I
want that camera. But don't really know when I can schedule the learning
curve, being in another set of hills. Is there a digital camera with a
straight line learning curve?

cheers,

Judy