Re: Photographic censorship question

From: Kris Erickson (kerickso@ryerson.ca)
Date: 03/03/03-10:26:58 AM Z

Lots of possibilities with it, Richard! CC me as well, please!
The Stalin propaganda images are interesting because they are not
exclusively photography (rather photomontage), but are products of both
photographers and designers--or photo-designers, or what have you (i.e.
Alexander Rodchenko, Gustav Klutsis, and John Heartfield--originally
Herzfeld). The evolution of the idea of plurality, equality, and
community (from the October revolution) towards Stalinist singularity,
power, and dominance (from the early 30's onward) is quite remarkable
and illustrative of the changing ideals of the culture.
I guess it depends what you're going for.
I think another interesting area is the censorship of students by
teachers of photography (either through direct discouragement, or
implied unreceptivity to a student's work and work interests--typically
in favour of his/her own). It's a little more difficult to suss
out--typically it's described not as censorship but as the student's
"learning process"--but I know I have felt on more than one occasion the
"pressure" to do something different from what I have been working on.
I realize that as a student, one must learn to articulate what one is
creating. However, I think that working to discourage a student from
creating or pursuing one kind of work is a sinister form of censorship
(at best), while trying to point out the possible political, social,
moral, etc. repercussions of making THAT work in particular is much less
destructive or long-term prohibitive. It is a very delicate issue, however.
Best of luck with it, Richard,
Kris