Re: First Gum Print

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 03/07/03-05:41:54 PM Z

Hamish,
     Yeah, I know. I was just testing Livick's suggestion that gum should
be from 1/2g to 6g per 12ml pigment, which was (the latter) 8 times what I
normally use. So I thought, hey, if I am going to get paper stain, this
should do the trick. So I did the highest amount (6/12) knowing that I
could then dilute that easily for the next go around by adding more gum
arabic. Lo and behold, I actually got a print that was not stained in the
highlights, even though it was a gritty, charcoal looking print. At the 3g
concentration I normally used 5 yr ago, all I got with lamp black was a
sicky green color that required multiple printing. This way (6/12) could be
a stand alone. However, I would probably use twice that dilution, probably,
on a regular basis or in multiple printing.
     Also, I should stress that I was doing this for 1. one coat gum on 2.
Rives BFK that is 3. unsized AND not preshrunk, so that I could make use of
the sizing already in Rives.
    Also, I plan on continuing testing these extremes. I have found out
that my 5 yr old gum is just fine. I have found out that 5 year old mixed
pigments are just fine. I have tested, now, the 6/12 ratio with pink color,
quinacridone sienna (a BEAUTIFUL orange), indanthrone blue, lamp black, and
moonglow. It works for all. 12min exposure under UV.
     Well, another thing: I just got done researching Kodak's Modern Way of
Picture Making (1905) and Demachy did the chapter in there on gum, and this
is what he says:
     Pigment stain is excess liquid, bichromate, or water in the solution.
If *granular* pigment stain in the whites, it is excess pigment in the
mixture. He also used 1% "bisulphite of soda" to clear-- I assume that is
sodium bisulfite?
Later,
Chris