RE: Maine College of Art? Goddard?

From: Jonathan Bailey (quryhous@midcoast.com)
Date: 03/08/03-02:19:27 PM Z

Shannon,

> I have been accepted at two low-residency MFA programs, one at the
> Maine College of Art and one at Goddard College. These are programs
> where you actually go to the school for some weeks in the summer and
> then do the bulk of your work at home, under the supervision of a
> local teacher. I wonder if anybody on this list knows anything about
> either of these two programs, and another one I applied to at Vermont
> College?

I have friends who teach photo at Maine College of Art. I'd be happy to
hook you up.

Regarding Goddard: having grown up in Vermont I can tell you they do not
enjoy a very serious reputation. I believe they are now fully accredited,
but it's hard to believe the program would be what you'd call "rigorous."
(In the 60's and 70's most of the study was more in the "free-love and
do-your-own-thing" department. (Not that free-love is a *bad* thing!) But
that may all have changed....)

And finally, the Vermont College program is, I believe, a good one. BTW -
You'll find my name on their roster of artist-teachers....

I'd be glad to discuss this with you off-list - or, by phone (207-372-8514).

Good luck!

Jon
www.jonathan-bailey.com
Tenants Harbor, Maine