Re: Liver of sulfur?

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 11/01/03-10:19:47 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryuji Suzuki" <rs@silvergrain.org>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 7:40 PM
Subject: Re: Liver of sulfur?

> From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
> Subject: Re: Liver of sulfur?
> Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 18:09:27 -0800
>
> > While Polysulfide has carbonate in it I think if no
> > additional carbonate was added it would be on the MSDS.
MSDS
> > usually don't show any more than they have to.
>
> You are still missing the point. Polysulfide and liver of
sulfur are
> different mixtures and they are not interchangeable.
Polysulfide does
> not contain carbonate. Liver of sulfur does.
>
> --
> Ryuji Suzuki

  That may be but Liver of sulfur is not what is in KBT
according to the MSDS. Here is part of the MSDS for the
concentrate:

Item Description Information
Item Manager: S9I
Item Name: TONER,PHOTOGRAPHIC
Specification Number: NONE
Type/Grade/Class: NONE
Unit of Issue: BT
Quantitative Expression: 00000000008OZ
UI Container Qty: 1
Type of Container: BOTTLE
Ingredients
Cas: 7732-18-5
RTECS #: ZC0110000
Name: WATER
% Wt: 70 - 80
Other REC Limits: NONE RECOMMENDED
OSHA PEL: NOT RELEVANT
ACGIH TLV: NOT RELEVANT
------------------------------
Cas: 497-19-8
RTECS #: VZ4050000
Name: SODIUM CARBONATE
% Wt: 5 - 10
Other REC Limits: NONE RECOMMENDED
OSHA PEL: NOT ESTABLISHED
ACGIH TLV: NOT ESTABLISHED
------------------------------
Cas: 1310-73-2
RTECS #: WB4900000
Name: SODIUM HYDROXIDE (CERCLA)
% Wt: <1
Other REC Limits: NONE RECOMMENDED
OSHA PEL: 2 MG/M3
ACGIH TLV: C 2 MG/M3; 9495
EPA Rpt Qty: 1000 LBS
DOT Rpt Qty: 1000 LBS
------------------------------
Cas: 37199-66-9
RTECS #: TT5950000
Name: POTASSIUM POLYSULFIDE/POTASSIUM SULFIDE
% Wt: 15 - 20
Other REC Limits: NONE RECOMMENDED
OSHA PEL: NOT ESTABLISHED
ACGIH TLV: NOT ESTABLISHED

  I could not find this stuff (Potassium polysulfides) or
"Liver of Sulfur or Sulphur" on the SIRI site. Whatever is
in KBT it has no CAS number.

  Note also that the Kodak formula for T-8 specifies
"Polysulfide (Liver of Sulfur)", stated just that way, as
the ingredient. Evidently, Kodak thinks they are the same or
did in the 1950's.
  As you pointed out "Liver of Sulphur" has a pretty
amorphous definition.

  I don't know whether a solution of Liver of Sulphur or of
Potassium Polysulfides, would tone as a direct toner without
any other ingredients. It should be easy enough to prove one
way or the other.

  ---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA