Re: Gum over Palladium/Platinum

From: Clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 10/09/03-09:40:11 AM Z

> Have people examined prints that are gum over platinum
> that are 50 to 100 years old?

I've seen some of Steichen's gumovers in the flesh, and they are
approaching 100 years old now. They seem to be fine. He printed dark,
and there certainly does not seem to be any fading of the colors. Of
course, I wasn't around 100 years ago, either, so that observation has
very little probative weight. I guess you could assume that he thought
they looked okay when he printed them, and I think they look okay now,
so the 'okayness' has not changed noticeably.

Clay