framing of alternative prints

From: John Cremati (johnjohnc@core.com)
Date: 10/22/03-07:00:29 AM Z

Hi,
      I did a intensive study on matting and framing black and white prints.
I performed this study with a friend of mine who is a noted Artist and Art
Conservator that works with both the Cleveland Institute of Art and The
Cleveland Museum of Art in Cleveland, Ohio....His input was invaluable...
       We found with black and white prints that the traditional black
frame and white mat , when placed on the typical gallery white wall it is
terribly harsh and distracting, irritating the optical nerve.. When framed
in this manner it took away from the image significantly , fighting the
picture, instead of leading and carrying the eye into the photograph ...
        You will not believe the difference a well chosen mat and frame
makes!.. If I can offer any advice it would be to make a trip to a good
framer that has lots of samples, to do a study on mats and frames for your
images.
         I do not have a scanner or web site , but if anyone would like a
digital picture of the sample combination for black and white prints that
we had come up with, e-mail me off list and I will be happy photograph it
and send it to you........ johnjohnc@core.com .

John Cremati