Re: Test for Silver Metal in Print?

From: Sandy King (sanking@CLEMSON.EDU)
Date: 10/30/03-08:23:19 AM Z

>From: Sandy King <sanking@clemson.edu>
>Subject: RE: Test for Silver Metal in Print?
>Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 00:48:07 -0400
>
>> What I gather from this test is that a palladium toned kallitype
>> should have great permanence since virtually all of the silver has
>> been replaced with palladium.
>
>You are going to the exact fallacious argument that I have been
>warning about: absence of change in bleach does not mean absence of
>silver.

I thought you would have understood from my message that since it is
obvious a small amount of the silver remains in the paper after
bleaching the original purpose of my question has been answered. In
other words the bleach tests seems to clearly establish that toning
with palladium does not entirely eliminate the presence of metal
silver in the print. Whether the silver has been replaced, coated or
converted into diamonds is at this point basically irrelevant.

Once having determined that there is some silver metal remaining in
the print the only issue of interest that remains for me is whether
the toned print is stable against oxidative attacks, and since about
96% of the image density remains after bleaching, there appears to be
clear evidence that it is.

Sandy