A Deep Dilemma

From: Jonathan Bailey (jon@jonathan-bailey.com)
Date: 09/03/03-06:29:24 AM Z

Greetings,

I hope this isn't too OT and I apologize in advance if anyone finds it so.

This year I have begun scuba diving and I very much want to begin making
images underwater. It's been my intention to shoot traditional B&W film so
that I can print - and, more to the point - gold-tone the resulting images.
I had also assumed I would sooner or later end up with a digital camera as
well - for color work, and for the ease it can handle low-light situations
(which is always an issue) and also color correction, etc.

In following numerous of the recent threads here, I'm now wondering if I
wouldn't be better off in the long run purchasing digital to begin with and
outputting B&W negatives when I want them for the darkroom on my Epson C80
printer.

My question: Is it realistic for me to expect to be able to output a
printable negative in this way? My new(-ish) computer has Windows XP and
Photoshop Elements. There is going to be a steep learning curve for me with
this new enterprise no matter how I proceed....

Your thoughts are welcome!! Many thanks!!

Jon
www.jonathan-bailey.com
Tenants Harbor, Maine