Re: Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL. . . ?

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 09/04/03-10:39:09 AM Z

Gord, you could take the top off the scanner and flip a light table upside
down...I'm sure there are other ways to do it though to get even lighting. The
biggest problem may not be the lighting, but rather keeping the negative
flat.... however, I would bet that there is a way to use a gentle vacuum to do
this, where you seal the edges of the negatives with non-stick (oxymoron) tape
and use something like a fish tank pump with a gentle vacuum. Then your next
hurdle is then is the dreaded Newton Rings associated i believe with the
refraction caused by the light passing through two adjacent surfaces, the glass and
film stubstrate—if this is a problem, you can use Kami Fluid to "oil mount" or
there are etched glass carriers that help with the problem. Have fun.

Mark Nelson