Re: coating method

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@mindspring.com)
Date: 09/04/03-02:07:20 PM Z

Ryuji,

The Magic Brush will work wonderfully, don't worry about the metal ferrule and it doesn't shed. IMO, foam brushes should be avoided at all costs as they waste sensitiser, abraid the paper surface, and eventually disentigrate leaving foam on your paper surface. And did I mention that the Richeson also doesn't shed.

A good quality Hake brush would be a good choice if you want to brush the sensitizer on. In my experience Winsor Newton hake brushes are very good, worth the extra expense. You will need to get several if want to coat several pieces of paper in a session since the brush needs to washed and dried a bit in between coatings.

For coating a 16x20 sized paper a puddle pusher could be used but I've never used one that large. I don't think a stainless steel wire wrapped rod (Meyers rod) is a good idea for a lot of reasons.

BTW, did I mention that the Richeson doesn't shed. ;)

My 2 cents,

Don Bryant

> I'm not sure exactly what you are doing, but every platinum printer I
> know (including myself) who has picked up the Richeson 9010 wash brush
> has used nothing else after trying it. It is used soaking wet, soaks up
> no extra coating solution, and allows extremely even coats to be laid
> down on the watercolor paper we use. They make a 4 inch wide brush that
> can easily coat sheets of the size you mentioned. check out :
> http://www.artxpress.com/commerce/catalog/
> spcategory.jsp?category_id=1096&czuid=1062695433602

The thing is that I avoided all brushes that had any metal
part. Richeson 9010 seems to have metal part as well...

One thing I like about foam brush is that it doesn't leave any hair on
prints. I washed all my brushes before using for coating, but probably
because my emulsion is very viscous, all brushes left a piece or two
of hair on each print... (My emulsion contains about 90g/L of 225
Bloom gelatin with glutaraldehyde that thickens up and make it more
viscous.)

So, I like to hear any suggestion for non hair-based coating method
suitable for large prints, as well as tips to deal with viscous stuff
with hair-based brushes.

Thanks

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Reality has always had too many heads." (Bob Dylan, Cold Irons Bound, 1997)