Re: Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL. . . ?

From: Allan Connery (allan.connery@shaw.ca)
Date: 09/04/03-02:16:59 PM Z

I once did a quick-and-dirty experiment with an old Umax Vista S-6e scanner
and my Porta-Trace light box.

I put a strip of 35 mm negatives on the glass platen, with the light box
inverted and pressing down on the negative.

By the way, I opened up the scanner and disconnected the internal light
source. Scanner light reflected from the negative ­ rather than transmitted
through from the light box ­ might have caused flare.

The scan was recognizable, but there's only so much you can expect from a 35
mm neg scanned at 300 dpi.

Unfortunately, there was a fatal flaw: the scans had conspicuous light and
dark banding. This was presumably caused by the fact that an AC fluorescent
light isn't constantly bright. The fluctuations of the light showed up as
bright and dark bands on the scan.

That's as far as the experiment went, but I've been toying with the idea of
building some kind of DC-powered light source: an array of LEDs, maybe,