Re: flying....

From: Clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 09/06/03-07:48:57 AM Z

My feeling is that the dosage is cumulative. I have had boxes of Tri-X
run through the machines here in Houston on the way out and on the way
back, and have not been able to notice any discernible fog. But when I
took the same box on a third trip, I began to pick up some base fog
that wasn't there before. One hint from Dick Arentz is to make sure
that the boxes are put on the machine's conveyer with nothing on them
or around them that could possibly cast an 'X-ray shadow' if it does
fog slightly. You would certainly pick up the faint outline of your
ipod if you laid it on top of a film box and they gave it a good jolt
of x-rays. A minor amount of fog is a small, but tractable problem, as
long as the fog is consistent across the whole sheet of film.

FWIW, my experiences with this have been MUCH better since the TSA took
over at the airports. I generally ask for a hand inspection, tell them
it is film, and they just swab it and hand it back politely. I have not
been refused hand inspection since the TSA took over operations. This
was certainly not the case prior to 9/11, when each airport and each
worker seemed to have a different idea about what was allowed. The
slightly fogged Tri-X example I mentioned before was due to being
forced to put it through the machines prior to the TSA assuming their
present role.

Out of this country, all bets are off, though. When the guy with a
machine gun tells you to put it on the belt, you just do it.

Clay