RE: Autochromes

From: David Foy (dfoy@marketactics.com)
Date: 09/23/03-07:44:53 AM Z

My understanding is there is one layer, in which starch grains dyed the
three colors are randomly mixed. The Lumieres apparently used red, green,
and purple, and color choice is undoubtedly a fruitful area for
experimentation.

The tedium and high cost of the manufacturing process was largely in having
to sift the dyed grains by size and put that one layer down in several
steps, biggest grains first, next-biggest next, etc., to achieve one layer
with all the interstices filled. I believe a final layer of carbon black
filled the last holes, but I'm not sure about that. This single layer was
then mechanically pressed to make the starch grains less spherical and more
lenticular.

This information comes largely from patent literature and to a small extent
from our wonderful modern Internet. I have no personal experience with the
process other than envy.

David Foy