Re: Vandyke brown

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 09/27/03-10:39:41 AM Z

Judy,

I stand on my old quote. I think I misinterpreted the question. I thought
the question was why not print on glass, i.e. why print on cloth. Silly me.
Agai, the paper towels ae necessary and I still like "Bounty" even though I
have no stock in the company. ;-)

I noticed that someone else uses paper towels. Also, unless it was
previously mentioned, anyway its
worth repeating, only natural fibers (like cotton, silk) will work. Rayon,
nylon, Dacron i.e. all the polymers just don't absorb the sensitizer.

Even though we have been discussing VDB, note that cyanotype will also work
as well. I once put cyano on a piece of light green cotton and got a very
nice blue and green image. The possibilities are, well, endless.

Bob Schramm

Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com

>From: Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: Re: Vandyke brown
>Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 00:00:46 -0400 (EDT)
>

>On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Robert W. Schramm wrote:
>

> > Cloth is used to achieve a certain look and texture unlike that of paper
>or
> > any other surface. Also it is very flexable and can be mounted various
>ways.
> > By saving material I assume you mean sensitizer. Saving sensitizer is
>not
> > the point here. Effeciency and cost are very minor factors in this form
>of
> > art if indeed they are considered at all.
>
>But Bob, it's only 5 years, how could you forget? I remembered that I
>asked you the same question, about why paper towels, why not glass -- and
>I checked the issue: You said, "the paper towels soak up the excess and
>keep it from spreading past the lines or soaking through to pool
>underneath & make blobs -- as I learned by experience."
>
>OK?
>
>Judy
>

> > Bob Schramm
> > Check out my web page at:
> >
> > http://www.SchrammStudio.com
> >

> > >From: Ender100@aol.com
> > >To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
> > >Subject: Re: Vandyke brown
> > >Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:06:14 -0400 (EDT)
> > >
> > >This is interesting, since I want to do some work on cloth one of these
> > >days
> > >when I catch my breath... I am curious as to why people put the cloth
>on
> > >something that is going to soak up MORE coating rather than put in on
>glass
> > >or
> > >something like that which will soak up less coating, thus saving you
> > >materials?
> > >
> > >Mark Nelson

>because
>canvas
> > >on
>towels."
> > >He
>more

> > Share your photos without swamping your Inbox. Get Hotmail Extra
>Storage
> > today! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es

Instant message in style with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now FREE!
http://msnmessenger-download.com