Re: PT/PD density/contrast/definition

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 09/27/03-11:09:26 PM Z

Nick,

I would tend to agree with Sandy King's response, that you have probably
overexposed your negative of the digital step tablet on the waxed paper and
perhaps have too much contrast in your mix. One thing I wasn't sure of in your
description, you said you added 1 drop of PT to the mix for color. What are you
using for contrast? If the PT you added was the famous "magic bullet,"
sometimes called "Na2," or Sodium Chloroplatinate, then my guess is you have an
extremely contrasty mix for your negative. See: <A HREF="http://www.dickarentz.com/na2.htm">Dick Arentz Na2 Contrast
Ranges</A>, ©Dick Arentz.

I'm trying to read between the lines though regarding what you have described—
if I have errored in my interpretation, pardon any errors.

You can easily test your waxed paper substrate for the proper exposure value
by using a trick that perhaps many people know, but was taught to me by Sam
Wang. For now, forget the "digital step tablet" because it may not give you
accurate information. In addition, if you measured the "highlight density"
(2.2) of your digital step tablet with a standard transmissive densitometer, it
might be incorrect due to the difference in how inks block UV light.

You need a 21 step tablet, like the Stouffer's # T2115 (about $5)—
www.stouffer.net. If you don't have one of these or a similar one, then stop whatever
you are doing and get one right away. They are indispensable.

Prepare a strip of your waxed paper substrate (with nothing printed on it)
that is the about a half inch longer than the length of the Stouffer's step
tablet (about 5") and about half an inch wide. Now coat a strip of your
Platinotype as you normally do that is about 6" long and an inch and a half wide.
When you expose, lay the plain negative substrate down on the coated paper strip
towards one side so that you can then put the Stouffer's on top of it
straddling one edge of the negative substrate. Thus you will print all the steps of
the step tablet both with and without the waxed paper substrate. Expose it
for close to the amount time (as a starting point) that you did with the
digital negative. Develop and dry it. Then examine it. Remember you are
looking for where you get a merger of two steps in the area that is exposed under
both the step tablet AND your negative substrate. If steps one and two are
merged, then perfect. You know your exposure value. If steps 2 & 3 are merged
(seem equal in density) then you have to subtract one half stop from your
exposure value....or multiply by .71 etc etc. Dick Arentz has a great
explanation of this process in his book.

OK, why lap the edge of the waxed paper substrate? Because it also gives
you an idea of the density of the substrate or its resistance to UV light. It
also lets you compare the exposure of your substrate to what your value would
be for a standard negative, assuming the same base + fog between the
Stouffer's and "standard film." Given that you have determined the waxed paper
substrate to have a density of about .39, you should see your black come in almost
2.5 steps apart from the area with just the step tablet on it.

If you don't have a step tablet around and you happen to have some Pictorico
OHP film around, cut some strips of successively shorter lengths about half an
inch wide and overlap them. Each layer is about one half stop density.
This might get you by until the stores open Monday.

Hope this helps. What kind of paper and wax are you using? What
adjustment curve are you using?

Good luck!

Mark Nelson