streaks in scan

From: Jon Lybrook ^lt;jon@terabear.com>
Date: 04/26/04-08:46:29 AM Z

Hi All,

I'm scanning a 4x5 transparency at 48bit on the Epson 4870 Pro using SilverFast,
converting it to greyscale and am getting vertical streaks in the file. The
streaks aren't noticeable until I apply an adjustment curve or otherwise
brighten the image. I've managed to minimize them by doing a multipass scan,
but they still exist. They are apparent in the file and on whatever output
device I send them to, so I know it's not a printer problem.

Is this ugly artifact in the subtle black areas simply to be expected from the
flatbed scanners or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Jon