Re: New Cyanotype - my first unsuccessful attempt

From: Joe Smigiel ^lt;jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
Date: 08/19/04-06:39:21 PM Z

I don't recall the original poster's message, but I might suspect the
issue has something to do with the paper and buffering. Perhaps the
nitric and sulfuric acids, being stronger, are more efficient at
removing any buffering agent in the specific paper being used. The
weaker citric acid may just not be strong enough to keep the paper
acidic and so fading occurs and is accelerated compared to the other
flavors.

At one point in the discussion someone mentioned being able to print on
butcher's paper and it sounded like they were almost surprised at this.
IME, printing on very cheap papers such as that mentioned (and paper
bags, unbuffered papers, etc.) with the cyanotype process is easily
accomplished. It is the higher quality artist's papers, especially
those labelled "acid-free," which are difficult to make a good blueprint
upon.

All this is just a guess on my part but perhaps one of the chemists on
the list could relate the relative pHs of the various acids mentioned
and whether a particular choice might adversely influence the fading of
the image as well as the longevity of the paper substrates.

Joe