Re: Some temperaprint questions - beware! these are dummy, beginners questions

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@yahoo.com>
Date: 02/04/04-05:51:05 AM Z

Actually the printing time is probably shorter with Temperaprint!? Below I
will make a "theoretic" calculation. Theoretic because I didn't make a
single gum or temperaprint yet so please consider this before bashing me ;)
and please "gently" correct any mistake you encounter.

Assuming I'm going to print monochrome gum on a 300gsm (140lb?) watercolor
paper in a total of four impressions (highlights, midtones, shadows and a
last adjustment layer):

1. Coat layer #1: 3mins
2. Dry layer #1: 20mins
3. Expose layer #1: 5mins
4. Develop layer #1: 30mins
5. Dry layer #1: 60mins
6. Coat layer #2: 3mins
7. Dry layer #2: 20mins
8. Expose layer #2: 5mins
9. Develop layer #2: 30mins
10. Dry layer #2: 60mins
11. Coat layer #3: 3mins
12. Dry layer #3: 20mins
13. Expose layer #3: 5mins
14. Develop layer #3: 30mins
15. Dry layer #3: 60mins
16. Coat layer #4: 3mins
17. Dry layer #4: 20mins
18. Expose layer #4: 5mins
19. Develop layer #4: 30mins
20. Dry layer #4: 60mins

Makes a total of 472mins = 7hours 52mins! And this is excluding the time
needed for stretching and sizing the paper.

Now, if I want to make a monochrome Temperaprint on a 300gsm (140lb)
synthetic paper (such as Yupo) in 6 impressions (please note that 50% more
impressions compared to gum):

1. Coat layer #1: 3mins
2. Dry layer #1: 5mins
3. Expose layer #1: 5mins
4. Develop layer #1: 10mins (probably this operation is shorter than 10mins
but I'll leave it that way for safety)
5. Dry layer #1: 10mins (synthetic paper, dries incredibely fast)
6. Coat layer #2: 3mins
7. Dry layer #2: 5mins
8. Expose layer #2: 5mins
9. Develop layer #2: 10mins
10. Dry layer #2: 10mins
11. Coat layer #3: 3mins
12. Dry layer #3: 5mins
13. Expose layer #3: 5mins
14. Develop layer #3: 10mins
15. Dry layer #3: 10mins
16. Coat layer #4: 3mins
17. Dry layer #4: 5mins
18. Expose layer #4: 5mins
19. Develop layer #4: 10mins
20. Dry layer #4: 10mins
21. Coat layer #5: 3mins
22. Dry layer #5: 5mins
23. Expose layer #5: 5mins
24. Develop layer #5: 10mins
25. Dry layer #5: 10mins
26. Coat layer #6: 3mins
27. Dry layer #6: 5mins
28. Expose layer #6: 5mins
29. Develop layer #6: 10mins
30. Dry layer #6: 10mins

Makes a total of 198mins = 3hours 18mins! And there's no need to stretch and
size the paper.

That's why I'm interested in Temperaprint - it seems like it's a process
with more steps but the time spent to make a print is shorter compared to
gum (if the above calculation is okay) because you can use fast drying
synthetic paper and emulsion.

Regards,
Loris.