Tartaric Acid as contrast agent in VDB?

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 01/03/04-10:31:21 AM Z

Loris,

It has been some time since I did any VDB printing but tests I did a
couple of years ago in increasing the amount of tartaric acid in the
sensitizer in an attempt to increase contrast indicate that it did
not work. As best I recall sensitivity was decreased but actual
contrast (as evaluated by the actual exposure scale of the print as
judged by the results of printing a 21 step tablet) did not change at
all. So, the practical consequence of adding the tartaric acid may be
just an increase in printing times, which could explain, at least in
part, why your exposures appear to be so long.

Sandy King