Re: originator of the pigment stain test

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 06/25/04-06:27:00 PM Z

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Judy Seigel wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:>

> > I don't want to start a discussion on the merits of the test, just that it
> > is important to give credit (or blame?) where credit is due: to the
> > Germans, not the English :).

Oh come on Chris, you know that if a dichromate stain drops in the ocean,
the waves eventually reach Peru.... but there was something else I
remembered later.

I had in fact come across a couple of simple forerunners of Anderson's GPR
test in books from about the turn of the 20th century. But they included
the dichromate... and one also included exposure. You seem to suggest that
the Germans had a "gum pigment test" like Anderson's, without either
dichromate *OR* exposure ??? Can you give the citation ?

(Tho of course none of the ones I saw was anywhere near as elaborated as
his.)

J.