Re: Heating gelatin. Consequences?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 11/12/04-10:27:19 AM Z

From: Sandy King <sanking@clemson.edu>
Subject: Heating gelatin. Consequences?
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:37:49 -0500

> The setting properties of gelatin are not lost by just heating it to
> 140-160F, *if* it does not stay at that temperature for too long.
> What is too long? More than 4-6 hours in my experience.

I agree. Holding at high temp for long time is nto good.
Heating-cooling cycle is worse than what you'd expect from total time
the gelatin is held hot though. I recommend to take only the necessary
portion of gelatin size/emulsion/sauce to heat to avoid multiple
heat-cool cycles.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"You have to realize that junk is not the problem in and of itself.