Re: Help with what I believe is a hardening issue

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 11/12/04-03:19:32 AM Z

Ryuji Suzuki wrote:

> From: Joe Smigiel <jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
> Subject: Re: Help with what I believe is a hardening issue
> Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:42:02 -0500
>
> > While it is convenient, IMO the downside of it is that the paper
> > surface quality is lost under the size. You are printing on paint
> > rather than paper once gesso is used.
>
> Tom and Joe: does it mean that if you coat cold press paper with
> gesso, you'll get a surface as smooth as baby's ass to print on?
> (please confirm)

I'm not Tom or Joe, but certainly with a couple coats of straight
(undiluted) gesso applied with a spatula on canvas, you can get a
surface so smooth that it completely obscures the weave of the cloth. So
I don't know why you couldn't get that smooth a surface on cold press
paper with gesso. I don't think you would be able to print gum on it,
but I doubt that's your interest anyway.

kt