Re: Help with what I believe is a hardening issue

From: Tom Ferguson ^lt;tomf2468@pipeline.com>
Date: 11/12/04-11:32:37 AM Z

Agree. Like Katharine I don't know what you need/want, but you can get
a very smooth surface with Gesso. There are also a number of "plastic"
type papers now (artificial paper, not plant material) that might be of
interest to you. I think the TemperaPrint folks use these.

On Friday, November 12, 2004, at 01:19 AM, Katharine Thayer wrote:

> Ryuji Suzuki wrote:
>>
>> From: Joe Smigiel <jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
>> Subject: Re: Help with what I believe is a hardening issue
>> Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:42:02 -0500
>>
>>> While it is convenient, IMO the downside of it is that the paper
>>> surface quality is lost under the size. You are printing on paint
>>> rather than paper once gesso is used.
>>
>> Tom and Joe: does it mean that if you coat cold press paper with
>> gesso, you'll get a surface as smooth as baby's ass to print on?
>> (please confirm)
>

> I'm not Tom or Joe, but certainly with a couple coats of straight
> (undiluted) gesso applied with a spatula on canvas, you can get a
> surface so smooth that it completely obscures the weave of the cloth.
> So
> I don't know why you couldn't get that smooth a surface on cold press
> paper with gesso. I don't think you would be able to print gum on it,
> but I doubt that's your interest anyway.
>

> kt

Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com