Re: Inkjet negatives and Van Dyke Brownprints

From: Ender100@aol.com
Date: 11/20/04-12:09:19 AM Z

Hi Joe,

The Epson media setting for Watercolor Paper-Radiant White is an
unusual setting for a matte paper in that it lays down more ink than any
other matte paper setting. All media settings are , in a sense, another
type of profile. When I was testing media settings, this particular
setting was strange in that it produced some rather unsightly digital anomolies
in the denser values—which translates to the highlights in the final
print.

A just wanted to confirm that your adjustment curve is used on the file
after it is converted from a positive to a negative image? Assuming so, I
looked at the curve you posted at the site below, and was curious as to
why the clipping on the darker values? I would have thought for Van Dyke you
would want the density and would want to retain more of the image file
tones?

Sounds like you are getting your exposure right on with the step tablet
lapped over the Pictorico...this is a Stouffer 21 step tablet? By Standard
Exposure Value, I just mean, as you said, the exposure that prints the
entire scale with seperation between each step and step #1 at or near
DMax for the process.

Be sure to let your negatives cure before printing so the densities
stabilize.

Sounds like Sandy's reply and info is helpful—he's used the PDN system a
lot. If you used a different paper or printer setup (and other variables
will make a difference), the curves will be slightly different.

Good luck,
Mark Nelson
Precision Digital Negatives
Mark I. Nelson Photography