Re: Research Question - Darkrooms closed?

From: Richard Sullivan ^lt;richsul@earthlink.net>
Date: 10/10/04-03:42:07 PM Z

Yeah! My first computer cost about $4,000,000.00 and had 64k of memory.
[IBM 360-40] You had to talk to it through an IBM golf ball Selectric or a
deck of cards. Some of the old timers could talk to it through the switches
on the front panel but I never could. Back in the 80's I wrote the bid
specs for a 4 meg memory add-on for a dual channel IBM 360-65. Winning bid
(IBM of course) was just over 4 million dollars. Not bad at a dollar a
byte. Memory came in 4 cabinets each the size of a refrigerator and the
memory was water cooled. Times have changed. The earlier memory was made of
bead size ferrite donuts strung on wire frames. Much of it made here in New
Mexico on the Navajo reservation. IBM found people who knew how to string
beads and farmed it out as piece work.

--Dick Sullivan