RE: pH of developer, was RE: Another Ziatype question

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@mynet.com>
Date: 10/14/04-02:37:13 AM Z

Results that I gather from several helpful messages, to make good
Ziatypes on Whatman HP paper:

I have to

* treat the paper in 1.5% oxalic acid (for 1 min.)
* coat the paper with generous amnt. of soln. (or double coat)
* use acidic wash water (2% - 4% citric acid)

I guess my weak black problem is related to the facts: I use less than
ideal coating solution and the paper is buffered. I remember reading
somewhere that oxalic acid also weakens the size on the paper. As
Whatman HP is heavily sized, I hope oxalic will help also to make the
paper more absorbant - leading to better dmax because more image
substance will be trapped in paper fibers.

Do you think my inference is right?

Will try these precautions this evening...

Regards,
Loris.