Re: Graphic Arts Lamps (for KT or anyone else who cares to answer)

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 10/14/04-04:52:33 AM Z

Katharine Thayer wrote:

> Schuyler Grace wrote:
> >
> > Katharine,
> >
> > Do you know the brand name and/or model number of the bulb you are using to
> > expose your prints?
>
> I use the GE photoflood #2 bulbs labeled EVB.

I meant EBV, sorry.

I used to be embarrassed to say in public that I use photoflood bulbs,
because they are generally looked down on as a lesser light source, but
I haven't found that the criticisms hold water, at least in the gum
universe I live in. The usual criticisms are (1) long exposure
times--since my exposure times are 1 to 5 minutes this doesn't strike me
as an important criticism. (2) the bulb puts out so much heat a fan is
required to keep the print cool -- I don't find this to be true at all.
My print platform hangs 13" below the bottom of the bulb and the glass
and the print under it are always still at room temperature at the end
of the longest exposures I ever make. (3) falloff at the edges -- this
is a legitimate criticism, but I get around it by having the platform
hanging on chains and moving it manually when exposing large prints, to
be sure of even exposure all the way to the edges. (4) change in
intensity over the life of the bulb -- again, I haven't found this to be
true in any meaningful way; I don't see any change in print exposure
required over the life of the bulb.
kt