Re: Everclear

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 10/15/04-11:27:44 AM Z

From: "Christina Z. Anderson" <zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Everclear
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:40:18 -0400

> I do have a ph meter if I can figure out how to use it :). But I used
> distilled water for this whole batch, too.

I have a pHew meter someone recommended me to buy on this list, but I
don't know how to use it.

By the way, my glutaraldehyde stock solution contains a small amount
of acid buffer so that the solution keeps well for many months. Also,
the type of gelatin used can have influence on the pH as well. This is
not a problem with hardening with glut because glut's hardening action
is not impaired/abolished by the acid, although acid can impair
hardening with formaldehyde and glutaraldehyde.

It depends on the type of emulsion, but my paper emulsions are of pH 5
to 7 at the time of hardening and coating. Plate emulsions are 7 to 8.
Glut works well with all these, and I've never seen a single yellowing.

Anyway, I think you did a good job in finding out what works the best
for your goal.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"You have to realize that junk is not the problem in and of itself.