Re: Sodium Bisulfite

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 10/15/04-03:23:56 AM Z

Giovanni Di Mase wrote:

> Thanks Katharine for letting us know.
> Honestly, I took the word of Photoformulary as real and didn't have the time
> to test it as you did.
> What Alberto was mentioning to you is that there are two color stains, the
> "dichromate stain" and the "chromium stain" and apparently the sodium
> sulfite does not work on the last one.

Hmm, that's interesting. I didn't see Alberto saying that, and as far as
I know, that distinction came from me; I tried to introduce that
distinction several years ago and got nowhere with it and gave it up. If
he means "dichromate stain" to mean a bright yellow stain that is made
almost entirely of dichromate, (a rare kind of stain that I've only
seen with certain paper/size combinations or when a drop of dichromate
was spilled and got picked up by the back of the paper) and a "chromium"
stain to mean a brown stain that is something else, then I disagree with
the above statement, because it was the brown stain that the sulfite
dissolved.

> Something else that Alberto mentioned to me is that he doesn't use and
> clearing agent but leaves the print on just water the whole night and he
> said it works better for clearing purposes.

Well then what he got isn't actually a stain. A stain is something that
won't dissolve in the water bath and needs more aggressive treatment.