Re: Sodium Bisulfite

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 10/15/04-03:41:51 AM Z

Alberto Novo wrote:

> Katharine Thayer wrote:
>
> > A private conversation about sulfite and bisulfite for clearing gum
> If you agree, we might post in public form our previous messages.

No, I think that would just be confusing to people; I see no purpose in
it. I think I've said everything here that relates to the discussion in
a useful way; the bulk of our conversation was us saying different
things and me finally coming to the point that we're talking about
different things. I think it would be a disservice to the list to make
them go around in circles trying to follow that conversation and then
not get anywhere particularly useful at the end.

> to be concise in this list, and I wrote you off-list to help clarifying us
> with more details.
>
> > A different clue is in the observation, reported in the following post
> > with the heading "Color of 'tanned' gum'" that if brown-stained
> > crosslinked gum (not treated with a clearing agent) is scraped off a
> > support while still wet, the resulting sludge is a deep green, which
> > would suggest that it consists mostly of CrIII.
> What I see is that if I give a very lonk soak (say 8-12 hours) to "my
> prints", the colour changes from brownish-green to pale gray-green, and "my
> water" turns pale yellow. What is in the water?

This just shows how we're talking about very different things. In this
case, you're definitely talking about CrVI, I think.
Katharine