1280 going berserkers

From: Clay ^lt;wcharmon@wt.net>
Date: 04/08/05-04:54:19 AM Z

In the last few weeks, my heretofore dependable epson 1280 is creating
striping on my diginegs. The striping shows up as areas of uneven
density that are more visible to the combination of platinum chemistry
and UV light than to the naked eye. The stripes have a frequency of
about 2-3mm, and show up in same direction that the print head travels
(i.e. perpendicular to the direction the paper travels through the
printer) FWIW, I am using Keith Schreiber's digineg workflow and
pictorico film.

My question is this: Has anyone experienced or heard of printers
developing this problem as they age?

My printer is now about 3 years old. And before you ask - yes, I ran
multiple cleaning cycles - yes, I changed the ink cartridge, and yes, i
ran the alignment utility.

Chuck it? Repair it? Make negs the old fashioned way?

Thoughts welcomed.

Clay