RE: Van Dyke

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@mynet.com>
Date: 04/17/05-02:49:27 AM Z

Hi Bob,

Glad to know that. My method for double coating is: I do the first coat and
let the paper absorb the emulsion (in other words wait until the paper
doesn't shine when viewed on oblique light). This takes around 3 - 5 minutes
in my environment. Then I use a cold air fan to circulate the air over paper
(makes drying much faster because you get rid of moisture saturated air over
paper). I do the second coating 15 - 20 minutes later (it's 5 + 15 minutes,
not cumulative 15 minutes). I do the second coating much more gently because
I think the paper is more vulnerable/easy to abrade after the first coating
(I may be wrong here - this is just a feeling. I do it that way anyway.). I
use the same drying method for the second coating. I haven't experienced
uneven coating (except for the first few prints) with this method. I use a
cheap soft bristle wash brush for coating. I always rinse the brush in
distilled water before and after coating. I blot the rinsed brush before
coating. Moist (but not wet!) brush doesn't take too much emulsion, that way
I can use much less emulsion to coat paper.

Hope this helps,

Loris.

  _____