Hazards of wet plate collodion ?

From: Best, Dianne ^lt;dbest@hydro.mb.ca>
Date: 08/08/05-10:27:12 AM Z

While I am waiting for my books from Coffer and the Ostermans and
thinking about doing wet plate ferrotypes, two things make me nervous:

#1 using potassium cyanide.

a) I believe potassium cyanide is a restricted substance in Canada, yes?
What is involved in buying and storing potassium cyanide?

b) I have seen the damage done by cyanide in the gold mining country of
northern Ontario and I know a little of its history as a medium of
execution - the stuff makes me NERVOUS! It is, from what I understand
very DEADLY. How does one render potassium cyanide solutions safe for
disposal?

c) What kind of handling precautions are required when working with
cyanide solutions?

d) Is there a safer way to fix collodion images?

#2 ether

I understand the wet plate method uses ether. I am a bit more familiar
with ether than cyanide as I have used ether in industrial applications
but ether has two un-nice characteristics - its flammability (explosive
vapours) and its anesthetic nature.

a) I Would presume that ether is used only out of doors in a well
ventilated area and well removed from sources of ignition?

I have a lot to learn but I also have an aversion to things that can
KILL me!

Dianne