Re: Demise of film

From: Tom Sobota ^lt;tsobota@teleline.es>
Date: 08/08/05-10:44:06 AM Z

Let's be fair with the digital imaging folks. "Measuring electricity across
a photo-receptor" is perhaps "easy" once you have developed the
photo-receptor. But this took a long time. Also, a digital camera is not
only a bunch of photo-receptors dancing in space. There is a computer
behind, programming, microelectronics...

All in all, digital photography is as complex as silver-based photography,
if not more. This is not "to overlook the brilliant chemists and
physicist", not at all, but let's not overlook the brilliant other people
who made computers and digital imaging possible. Many of us, after
all, use digital techniques for the production of contact negatives, for
example.

  I agree with those that think that the demise of the big players, Kodak,
Agfa, Ilford, Fuji and so on, whose interest was always the large consumer
market, allows the smaller folks to stick their heads out. Mako in Germany,
Foma in the Czech Republic, Forte in Hungary, and other smaller enterprises
are alive and well, selling beautiful b&w paper and film in many formats.
The French Bergger even sells bromoil paper now. I don't know what the
market for bromoil paper is, but it sure looks promising to them.

And yes, if everything fails, we still will be able to make our own
materials...

Tom